Windows XP can send, receive, track, and monitor faxes without an external fax machine. However, the fax component is not installed automatically during Windows setup. This step-by-step article describes how to install, enable, and configure the fax service in Windows XP.
- A computer that is running Windows XP and is equipped with a fax modem that is connected to a telephone line
- The CD that you used to install Windows XP
- Click Start, and then click control panel.Open Add or remove programs.
- Click Add/Remove Windows Components to the left of the list of programs.
- In the Components list, click to select the Fax Services check box, and then click Next (If you are prompted, insert the Windows XP CD, and then click OK)
Configure the fax service
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, point to Fax, and then click Fax Console.
- If you are prompted, type the area code or city code of your present location, a carrier code, the number that you must dial first to dial out, and the telephone system that you are using (Tone or Pulse), and then click OK.
- If the Phone and Modem Options dialog box is displayed, select your location (if more than one exists), and then click OK.
- Click Next, type the information that you want to appear on your fax cover page, and then click Next.
- In the Please select the fax device list, click the modem that you want to use.
- Click to select the Enable Receive check box if you want the computer to receive faxes.
- Type the Transmitting Subscriber Identification (TSID) that you want to use in the TSID box. Click Next.
- Type the Called Subscriber Identification (CSID) that you want in the CSID box. Click Next.
- Click to select the Print it on check box if you want each fax that you receive to be automatically printed. When you select this check box, you can select a specific printer to print the fax.
- Click to select the Store a copy in a folder check box if you want to archive a copy of each fax. When you select this check box, you can specify the storage location for the fax copy. Click Next. Click Finish