August 7, 2018

Pioneer USB Error 23

Recently I have used my 16 GB Toshiba USB flash drive to create a windows boot image using Rufus. Before doing that it was used on my car audio player (Pioneer DEH-2400UB). I have formatted the USB drive in FAT32 mode and copied all my music back to it. Once I plug it into the car audio player it was throwing an error 23.


According to Pioneer user manual this error comes when the player can't recognize the USB device. In my case it was already formatted in FAT32 mode so it shouldn't give this error. I was googling for a fix for this and landed on this website. There was a comment on that article which direct me to the actual problem.


So, what was the problem ?

I was using windows 10 to format my USB drive and it converted it's partition type to GPT which was not recognize by my Pioneer DEH-2400UB unit even it was formatted in FAT32.



 

How to resolve it ?

You have to use diskpart command in Windows 10 to convert the partition type back into MBR.

Before you do this you need to backup all your data since you're going to format the USB drive once again.

Press start button and type diskpart into the search area. (Windows 10)

Use following commands to do this and make sure you choose correct disk according to your computer setup.

Step 1. Input "list disk" and press "Enter"

Step 2. Input "select disk n" and press "Enter". n is the number of the disk you want to convert. (take "Disk 4" for example)

Step 3. Input "clean" and press "Enter" to delete all partitions or volumes on the selected disk.

Step 4. Input "convert mbr" and press "Enter" to complete the conversion from GPT to MBR format.


 

As the last step make sure you format the USB drive using FAT32 file system.


































Now copy all files back to it and enjoy your music.

34 comments:

  1. I do it but now not able to read or write pendrive please resolve the issue before that i am able to read and write am searching how to resolve the

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot.. You saved my life. ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you soo much . really helpful information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiquei sem disco na pen, como volto a colocar

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can further do following to format the disk in fat32..

    1. list disk.
    2 Enter select disk X, where X is the number of your selected disk.
    3 Enter clean.
    4 Enter create partition primary.
    5 Enter select partition 1.
    6 Enter active.
    7 Enter format fs=fat32.
    8 Enter assign.
    9 Enter exit.

    Refer to https://kb.iu.edu/d/bccm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this method worked for me perfectly, i converted the disk to mpr first though,,

      Delete
    2. thank you so much.
      I was confused after getting my usb undetected, but fortunatelly you commented.

      Delete
    3. to all a happy new year
      this method helped worked for me
      thanks a million.

      Delete
    4. does not work for me after entering fs=fat32 command it just gets stuck at 0% complete

      Delete
    5. I tried your method but its stops and putting this message:
      "Virtual Disk Service error:
      The volume size is too big."
      Do you know any other method ???

      Delete
    6. Hi Terra_sama,

      Windows (Diskpart utility) cannot format or create a FAT32 volume that is greater than 32GB.

      Try below command to format it with NTFS file system.

      format FS=NTFS quick

      Not sure if it will work on your Pioneer Head Unit.

      Delete
    7. Only this worked !! Thank you...

      Delete
  6. Commenting in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

    I followed the tutorial up to "clean" on Diskpart. When I hit enter, Windows 10 crashed (blue screen). After it rebooted, I tried the tutorial again and Diskpart gave me an error saying that the device was not ready, and windows popped up with a prompt to format the USB. However, whatever I chose, it said it was unable to format it.

    I ran Diskpart again and this time was able to get through the whole step (convert to MBR). However by right clicking on the drive in This PC I was still not able to format the USB. On the advice of an acquaintance I used diskmgmt.msc to create a partition on the USB. In the course of creating that partition I was prompted to choose a format, and selected fat32.

    The USB worked in my Pioneer unit after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can this be done with using a tablet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you can't. For this you need a computer which runs on Windows.

      Delete
  9. Thanks Guy...You safe my life today..I was think have lost my pendrive..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this problemen with 1 usb stick, but why was the other 1 fine?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a huge help! Thanks so much for taking the time to share this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i get the error 23 im using a 64gbt that was almost full, over 5000 songs is there a faster way to save all these songs like compressing them in a file when i save them to my pc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use a software like TeraCopy (https://www.codesector.com/teracopy)to copy your files faster.

      I don't see a point in compressing these files rather than save some disk space.

      But if you're coping them back to USB drive it's better to leave them uncompressed.

      Delete
  13. After you do this you need Step 5: Type "Create Partition Primary". Now you can format it as FAT32.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ERES UN GENIO. MUCHAS GRACIAS POR EL DATO. RECUERDEN VER BIEN LAS IMAGENES PUES LOS COMANDOS DEBEN SER CORRECTAMENTE ESCRITOS EN INGLES.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uh ... I did that but now I can't open my drive anymore. When I plug it in, it appears on my desktop, but when I click, the window says "please plug in a usb device" ... Someone, please ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you tried formatting it again by right clicking and selecting Format... ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, says it's impossible. "Windows could not do the format" (something like that, I translate from French :))

      Delete
  17. Try these through the command prompt while the USB drive is plugged in.

    1. list disk.
    2 Enter select disk X, where X is the number of your selected disk.
    3 Enter clean.
    4 Enter create partition primary.
    5 Enter select partition 1.
    6 Enter active.
    7 Enter format fs=fat32.
    8 Enter assign.
    9 Enter exit.

    ReplyDelete